Sunday, April 17, 2011

Beauty in Simplicity

Hey, gang! Today, we have an "invitation story" that keeps things short and sweet. Enjoy!


I probably should have realized I was bi way before I actually did. I had always had crushes on girls, but within the first couple of months of my sophomore year of high school I started dating this guy. Naturally I thought we would be together forever, so I ignored any other impulses. I got to college, broke up with the guy, and for the first time in three years I was free to look around. And there she was. My closest friends from high school had been rabid LGBT rights advocates for years, so it wasn’t hard to tell them, but I was a little more worried about my parents and brother. I told my dad in a ridiculous roundabout way, and he ended up being totally fine with it, but I should have known that he wouldn’t be the biggest hurdle. It’s been more than a year, and my mom still is not a huge fan of my identity as a bi person. She was initially so confused about it that she ended up talking about it to a large number of my aunts (I have 11 total), and now I don’t have any idea who I’m “out” to in my family. It made family gatherings a little weird for a while, but then I decided that until I’m ready to tell people, it doesn’t matter who knows. I’m happy and confident in my identity, and I’ll still be that way when my family comes around.

No comments:

Post a Comment